Sunday, March 19, 2017

1920s Teal Cocktail Dress

I recently attended a Roaring '20s party at a local historic mansion. This was the fourth party of this type that I have attended there--and they are always amazing! EVERYONE comes in costume. It's refreshing to look across the dance floor and see nothing but early 20th century fashions. I generally choose a draped (slightly more '30s) style black gown to these events, but wanted something flashier this year. As luck would have it, I found a $5 teal, satin cocktail dress at a local thrift store. I was in love with the low back and draping, and knew it would work!




It took me a long while to figure out what I wanted to alter to make it more Gatsby style. I liked the plunging neckline, so my first addition was some delicate teal lace across the front. Still showed a good hint of skin, but looked classier.


The draped back was dramatic, but it kept wanting to slip off of my shoulders. I figured if I'd be dancing and doing the Charleston, I couldn't risk the straps falling down (and no bra!). So, I added the sequined ribbon across the back to keep things in place.




I was so in love with that teal lace that I did an overlay over the whole thing. Next, in the bottom of a box I found a massive rhinestone applique that came off of a friend's wedding dress. I liked its irregular shape and sparkle.


This dress had a high waist, which was not the look I was going for---longing for the dropped-waist of the desired era. To lower the look of the waist, I made sure the rhinestone applique was added low on the belly, and added two drapes of fringe to accentuate the hips. And, ta da! A relatively easy adjustment to a modern dress.



I waved my hair and added feathers and a band of rhinestones. Feet were simple this round with basic T-strap black pumps. Added jewelry and a red lip and I was good to go!


1 comment:

  1. Lipitor (Atorvastatin) is used together with diet to lower blood levels of “bad” cholesterol (low-density lipoprotein, or LDL), to increase levels of “good” cholesterol (high-density lipoprotein, or HDL), and to lower triglycerides (a type of fat in the blood).
    Lipitor is used to treat high cholesterol, and to lower the risk of stroke, heart attack, or other heart complications in people with type 2 diabetes, coronary heart disease, or other risk factors such as genetically high cholesterol.we have
    lipitor for sale

    buy lipitor online
    Atorvastatin calcium
    buy Atorvastatin
    buy lipitor online UK
    buy lipitor online USA You can READ MORE about Lipitor side effects

    ReplyDelete